Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Challenges 2014: EPIC Edition

Because I'm a little insane, I've decided to give myself some challenges this year. (I don't like to call them "resolutions" because then I won't do them. I rebel against that kinda shit.)

So, instead, I've decided that I will do a writing challenge, an acting challenge, a blogging challenge, a reading challenge, and a physical challenge.

The Writing Challenge
I challenge myself to write two (2) full fledged novels this year. This means that I will have two completed first drafts by December 31, 2014. The first one is to be finished by March 31. The second is to be finished by October 31.

The Acting Challenge
I will act in three (3) different plays this year. This one might not be that difficult, since I'm already cast in two plays already. However, with theatre, since it's such a subjective kinda gig, it's hard to know when a director will be like "YES" or "no."

The thing that is within my control, however, is auditions. I'm going to any and all local auditions I can get to until I land that third part.

The Blogging Challenge
I'm gonna write a blog a day for 2014. It might not be good. It might be boring as hell for you. It might degenerate to kitten pictures. But there will be a post-a-day.

The Reading Challenge
I will finish reading the complete works of Stephen King, William Shakespeare, and Jane Austen. This means that any books by these authors that I have not already read previously, I will read. That's something like 30 from King, 20 from Shakespeare, and two from Austen. (See Goodreads sidebar for progress!)

The Physical Challenge
Confession. I have been unhappy in my body for a little while now. So I'm going to start putting it back into shape. I'm 101 pounds overweight. This year, I'm going to lose 60 pounds. There might be a lot of blog-crying on this one, so just a heads up...health related posts are sure to pop up!

So, 2014 should be delightfully busy, busy, busy!

3 comments:

  1. A "little" insane?

    The thing is knowing you, you'll totally crush this. And you've picked cool and diverse authors so you can change it up if one of them starts overwhelming. I'm joining you on the Shakespeare challenge, because I want to get that research done. Plus I have a bunch of non-fiction to read about Willy Boy. I'm still mulling any other challenges (which I like better than goal or resolution).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reading buddy! Which Shakespeare should we start with? Comedy? Tragedy? So far I've read Measure for Measure, Hamlet, King Lear, Othello, Coriolanus, Richard II, Romeo and Juliet, and there are a couple others that I can't think of off the top of my head. So NOT those just listed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was planning to do chronological order for research purposes. That would mean a Historical. Or should I say Historicals since there are three parts to Henry the Sixth.

    Nothing like diving into the deep end. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Fellow thieves! Please feel free to let me know what you've taken from this post - or share pertinent information that you don't mind me stealing.